Thursday 26 July 2012

My Thoughts on: Saint Laurent Paris

Yves Saint Laurent is my hero, I even mentioned him when writing my essay and when I wrote my entrance exam for ESMOD, words really can't describe how much I love him and the Yves Saint Laurent brand.

I was shocked when I found out about the name change implemented by Hedi Slimane, as YSL was one of the most iconic names in the fashion industry. It can be understood though, and he said he wanted to change it to represent the history of Yves Saint Laurent, given the original name of the prêt-à-porter (ready to wear) line "Saint Laurent Rive Gauche" (Saint Laurent Left Bank) but personally I feel like YSL has not changed, but moved on too much to move back to that name and whilst history is important it shouldn't be repeated. I mean, everyone knows Yves Saint Laurent, it is like if Lady Gaga suddenly went back to using Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta. Sure it is her name and her history is there but she has re-invented herself into this "new" brand too far to go back.

I think Hedi Slimane might have bitten off more than he can chew with this one.

Anyway, whats done is done and if you are interested - here is the new branding for Saint Laurent Paris. ...But if they wanted to keep the history of Yves Saint Laurent, then why didn't Hedi call it Saint Laurent Rive Gauche?


No comments:

Post a Comment